Why Is It Important to Remove Your iCloud?
iPhones and other Apple Devices are tied to their owners’ iCloud accounts which are password protected, and only the owner of the iCloud account can access it and remove it. When preparing your Apple device for a trade-in, private sale or if you're simply passing it on to your family member, it is necessary for you to remove your iCloud account from your Device.
Removing your iCloud means you protect your personal data and someone you don't know won't be able to access it. When your device reaches one of our merchants, iCloud-free devices can be easily tested and your order can be processed without delays. Unfortunately, it is common that traders forget to remove iCloud accounts from their iPhones before the sale and when our merchants receive an iCloud locked device, the value of the phone gets downgraded to £0 as it is locked and can not be tested and sold further on while having previous owner's iCloud lock.
How to Remove an iCloud Account From Your iPhone?
First you need to back up your data, so when you switch to your next phone, you can easily transfer data and restore your settings. Once the backup has been completed, you can move on to removing iCloud from your iPhone:
- Step 1: Navigate to Settings on your iPhone and tap on your user profile at the top.
- Step 2: Enter your Apple ID password if requested to sign into your iCloud.
- Step 3: Scroll down and tap on Sign Out at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 4: Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
- Step 5: Carefully read the information presented and tap Sign Out.
- Step 6: Tap Sign Out on the confirmation message.
How to Remove iCloud From My iPhone Remotely If I No Longer Have The Device Or It Is Broken?
You can remove your iPhone from your iCloud account remotely through iCloud website:
- Step 1: Go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Step 2: Navigate to Find My iPhone and at the top of the screen click on All Devices.
- Step 3: Select the iPhone you want to remove from your iCloud account.
- Step 4: Click Erase iPhone and click Next until the process is completed.
- Step 5: Click Remove from Account.
How to Reset Your iPhone to Factory Settings?
Now that you’ve signed out from your iCloud account on your iPhone, we recommend that you carry out a reset before selling so your iPhone can be reset to default factory settings and your data can stay safe. After completion, your device will turn off and restart, which may take a few minutes:
- Step 1: Navigate to Settings from your home screen and tap on General.
- Step 2: Scroll down and tap on Reset.
- Step 3: Tap on Erase All Settings and Content and tap Erase iPhone.